Is it legal for a landlord to turn off utilities for non payment of rent?

New Carrollton, MD |

I live in an apartment with another tenant. We have a rental agreement. I did not pay my rent for September by the 5th so the landlord/tenant is evicting me. She is suing me for rent. Also, on September 5th she cut off the cable and every-time I turn on the air conditioning she turns it off. Is this legal.

1. No. A landlord cannot resort to self-help remedies in the event of nonpayment of rent. Your landlord must file a Complaint for Repossession with the District Court in the county in which you live. PG County usually requires a landlord to have a rental license as well.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.

Landlord-tenant law topics