Is it legal for a landlord to charge tenants more for water than the municipal authority charges?

Beaver Falls, PA |

The entire complex is on just one water meter. This includes foreign load (coin-op laundry facility, pool and Property Management building).
The lease stipulates that landlord pays no utilities. Utilities shall be provided to the premises at the Tenant's expense on a separate metering and/or billing basis either directly from the utility provider or on a sub-metering basis or percentage allocation basis.
Tenants do not receive bills for water. A charge for water is included on the rent invoice each month.
I am a single dweller. My monthly "water bill" equals what I paid quarterly for a house occupied by 6 people. The Property Manager refuses my requests for an individual bill showing usage or at least showing how my bill is figured. I simply want to know how they reach the amount.

The landlord is tied to the language of the lease. If the landlord is charging you more than the lease allows you may actually have a consumer fraud claim. PAs consumer fraud act is not as strong as NJ but it still may be worth talking to an attorney.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant