Is it legal for a holistic practitioner to write medical marijuana prescriptions for family members in California?

Asked about 4 years ago - San Marcos, CA

A family member is writing medical marijuana prescriptions for several family members including her adult children. Now they are growing it and have young children in the home. I feel this is abuse of the medical marijuana laws and am concerned about the children. This is in Yuba City, Calif.

Additional information

The individuals who are receiving the medical marijuana all have done prison time for drug possession and crimes committed while under the influence.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Robert Lee Marshall

    Contributor Level 20


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . First of all, there is no such thing as a medicinal marijuana "prescription." Marijuana is still illegal under Federal law and cannot be prescribed.

    In California, a physician can issue a recommendation for medicinal marijuana use. Some people refer to these as prescriptions, but the correct term is recommendation.

    Only a physician can issue a medical marijuana recommendation. That means a person who is licensed by the state medical or osteopathic boards. It does not include chiropractor, optometrist or other medical providers.

    If the person is a licensed physician, there is nothing to prevent him or her from recommending medicinal cannabis for family members.

    If the "holistic practitioner" is not a licensed physician, the recommendations are worthless.

  2. Peter Robert Stone

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . You will need to talk to a local attorney, but it is unlikely that a non-physician can issue such a binding recommendation. The question is what can you, a family member do about it. They only think you could do is turn someone in to the police or authorities and hope they have time to investigate which could end up with everyone involved facing charges including your family.

    Contact a local attorney to discuss your rights and responsibilities.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,755 answers this week

3,305 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,755 answers this week

3,305 attorneys answering