Skip to main content

Is it legal for a foriegn Student (F1 Visa) to "join" Amway business, to buy products at discounted prices?

San Diego, CA |

I am researching the Amway business. I know that amway ( is a 11.8 Billion $ Global giant, and a well reputed business. Amway's chairman is the current president of the US Chamber of Commerce:
The reason I mention all this is because I don't need a lesson on the legitimacy, or the viability of Amway, or the model itself, as I have seen in some past responses. Attorneys who do not understand Amway need not reply.
Also Amway has different levels of "participation". Some join sometimes just to get some products. Some refer (sponsor) people internationally (in their home country, even though they join here). Is it legal for an F1 or a H1 visa holder to join, for any reason? Can they form an LLC for this purpose?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Whoa, you are asking for free legal advice and being very polite about it too..
    No, it is certainly not "legal" for someone in F-1 status to "work" and engage in active sales solicitations for a vertical marketing company such as "Amway", Tupperware or "legal shield". that is considered unlawful employment, and as such, a violation of one's F1 student status, which could get one placed in removal proceedings immigration Court.

    Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. As long as you don't engage in sales then should be fine. These type of pyramid or multi-level marketing business models have a way of convincing people to sell for them so be careful.

    Due to the nature of this forum, Attorney Maria J. Marty does not have all the information required to provide legal advice. Accordingly, her responses on Avvo are intended as general and not legal advice.

  3. Any activity that might be construed employment should, can only be engaged in with a valid employment authorization.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics