Is it legal for a doctor ti charge for medication refill called to your pharmacy

Asked over 4 years ago - Brunswick, GA

my doctor office charge me $25.00 for a perscription refill,is this legal?

1. David Allen Rose

Answered . A doctor's knowledge and time are his stock and trade. In order for the doctor to call in a prescription, he has to pull your medical record and review it. He also must make a determination as to whether or not to just call in the prescription refill or see you for an update of your health condition. He cannot under any standard of care simply take down what you ask him to refill and fill the prescription. That would be malpractice and if you were perhaps getting senile (not that you particularly are) like some of his patients probably are, he could call in something wrong and then he would not only put his license in jeopardy but his conscience as well.

In short, he had to exercise his professional judgment on your behalf and take time to review your record and call in the medication so he did perform services. Hey, I have trouble getting my doctor to call in prescriptions for me - Be greatful he is that good!

This answer is provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided in an office consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, with experience in the area of law in which your concern lies.