Is it legal for a defendant to request my income tax forms, w2's, etc during discovery. I thought these items were

Asked about 3 years ago - Aldan, PA

privileged and they were not allowed to request. This request if for a Federal case.

These documents were requested in relation to an FSLA cases for overtime wages and misclassification as an exempt employee. How would tax returns be relevant

1. Matthew G. Wadsworth

Pro

Answered . The standard for discovery is whether the sought documents are reasonably likely to lead to discoverable information. If your financials are somehow relevant to the case yes they are discoverable.

2. Paul Y. Lee

Answered . Previous response is correct. If the requested information in relevant to the subject matter of the action or reasonably calculated to lead to the discovery of admissable evidence, the propunding party may ask for these documents. For example, if an injured plaintiff claims he suffered loss of income, the defendant may certainly aske for evidence supporting the loss such as W-2s. Sometimes parties object to producing tax returns not so much on privilege grounds but on the ground that the request invades the responding party's right of privacy under the state's constitution and federal constitution. However, if the tax returns are otherwise relevant, the privilege argument may be a losing argument. You may be able to work out an agreement to black out certain information in the tax returns or otherwise limit the scope of the production.

3. Pamela Koslyn

Answered . You've got employment claims against your employer and are presumably claiming lost income, so these documents would probably meet the fairly low standard for discovery in the cases. It might be psosible to seek a protective order for sensitive documents, depending on the claims and uses involved.

I strongly suggest hiring a lawyer. itigating 3 cases simultaneously is like performing 3 different kinds of surgery on yourself and pro per litigants usually do poorly against lawyers when they try.