Is it legal for a consenting 17 year old to have sex with a 20 year old in the state of Colorado?

Denver, CO |

my girlfriends 17 and im 20 (3 year difference) shes been pressuring and badgering me into having sex with her and im ignorant when it comes to the law and it puts my nerves on edge cause im scared ill go to jail I just wanna know the honest legality of it cause the laws aren't very clear it says age of consent is 17 but in one of the articles it says its illegal with child and child used in said article means anyone under 18 so it sounds contradicting

The age of consent in Colorado is 17. There are also close in age exceptions.

I believe the statutory age difference is 5 or more years apart for criminal purposes.

DISCLAIMER: This above communication is for general informational purposes only. It does NOT constitute legal advice and SHOULD NOT be used or relied upon as such. Moreover, the above communication does not create an attorney-client relationship between Boal Law Firm and/or Attorney Brian Boal and any other person or entity. Legal representation by Boal Law Firm and/or Attorney Brian Boal is available but shall be set forth specifically in a separate written fee agreement signed by the parties.

The best and safest way is to let her know it is better when she turns 18 and 1 day. Then she is considered an adult and then you do not have to worry about violating the law so long as it is mutually consensual. If she says No Then it is absolutely No. This applies you as it relates to her. Being absolutely safe is wise and prudent. All the best.

No attorney client or attorney prospective client relationship is established or intended. Contact a local lawyer for specificity as to the facts in your case. This is for general information only and is not legal advice. Check our website for more information as to disclaimers and information herein. I have taken no action on your problem other than to review your question nor have I given any legal advice. I want to confirm that no attorney-client or attorney-prospective client relationship has been created between myself or our firm and you in connection with this matter, and that nothing in this response is legal advice to you. As you may know, the legislature and the courts can and do change the law in ways that may affect the strength or weakness of your case. In addition, the circumstances of your case may change. Because we do not represent you, we cannot keep track of, and inform you about, any change in the law. I must warn you that there are time limits for raising certain claims and defenses. Without taking more time to review your case, this firm nor its attorney (s) can properly advise about those deadlines. You may lose your claims and defenses if they are not filed in court within the time allowed. I suggest that you should retain the services of an attorney as soon as possible. The only way to establish any attorney client relationship with our law firm or any of its attorneys is to execute our Retainer Agreement and payment of our fees. By posting or reviewing our responses you explicitly agree to the disclaimer and terms and conditions under which we respond to questions on Avvo or any other question and answer forums on the internet.