Is it legal for a commercial landlord to change my locks for non-payment? Does that terminate the lease?

Asked 12 months ago - Howell, MI

My landlord and I agreed to a lower lease amount, but didn't put it in writing. He has been accepting this amount for 7 months without saying anything different. It does state in the lease that he can lock me out, but isn't it against a state law?

1. Donald B. Lawrence Jr.

Pro

2

Best Answer

Answered . If the premises were voluntarily vacated, a landlord could secure the premises but vacated means that the premises are empty. However, a lock out is prohibited under Michigan law until after a landlord has gone to court, obtained an order for possession of the premises and had a Sheriff or Court Officer evict the tenant from the premises. Damages for a self-help lock out by a landlord can be awarded.

2. Thomas R. Morris

4

Answered . Short answer: It is against Michigan law for a landlord to lock out a tenant in possession without going to court to evict the tenant. I would need to know all of the facts before giving a definite answer.

3. David B. Carter Jr.

Pro

3

Answered . In short and based on this limited fact pattern I would say his actions are wrong and actionable. He has opened himself up to liability.

4. Cheryl Rivera Smith

3

Answered . I agree with Mr. Morris and suggest that you carefully review the last lease that was in effect for holdover and renewal language. Best of luck.