Is it legal for a 18 year old to have sex with a 16 year old?

West Palm Beach, FL |
Filed under: Criminal defense

So, I was a little confused on the laws between age limits. By what I got is that the ages 18-23 can have sex with ages 16 and 17 ??? I don't know if that's true, but my main question can a 18 year old have sex with a 16 year old ?

Inn Florida it is legal for an 18 year old to have sex with a 16 year old.

For more information or to set up a free initial consultation contact the Mangrum Law Firm at 407-349-7474 or This answer does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship. It is offered for informational purposes only. Please consult with a licensed attorney before making any legal decisions.

The age of consent in Florida is 18, but close in age exemptions exist. By law, the exception permits a person 23 years of age or younger to engage in legal sexual activity with a minor aged 16 or 17.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

In FL, so long as it is consensual, the answer is yes; but "can" and "should" are 2 different things.

First, second and third: No attorney-client relationship exists by virtue of any Q&A with Michael A. Haber, Esq. on Avvo. Fourth: Anything that you post on Avvo (or on similar sites) or on any social media is by its nature public. It is essentially an admission / confession and can be introduced into evidence as a statement against your interest in a subsequent legal proceeding. Once posted you lose any reasonable expectation of privacy, so, as this is an open forum (with no privilege attached), please be extra careful when considering what to post online (forewarned is forearmed.)