Is it legal for a 18 year old to date a 15 year old in new York?

Asked over 1 year ago - Carmel, NY

I am 14 now and my boyfriend 17 , his birthday is in October and mine is in November . when he is 18 I will be 15 can he get in any legal trouble at all ? we live in new York

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

3

Answered . Dating is not illegal. The legal age for consent to sex in NY is 17.

2. Marco Caviglia

2

Answered . Yes. You cannot consent to the various types of intercourse at your age.

3. Sean Patrick Lewis

3

Answered . Are you asking about dating? or about sex?

Are your parents happy with this?

This guide might have information you'd be interested in.

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/New-York-Age-C...

4. John J. Carney

Pro

1

Answered . You should probably get the approval of both sets of parents before you date an older boy. If you have sex it is statutory rape since you cannot consent until you are 17. He would be arrested and possible be a registered sex offender. Unless you are very mature for your age it may be wise to find a boy your own age since this relationship can lead to him being prosecuted and since you may not be able to know who is appropriate for you at your age.

5. David B Pittman

Pro

2

Answered . Dating is not illegal, however, having sex would be considered statutory rape. Be careful.