Is it legal for a 17 year old girl to date a 23 or 24 year old guy?

Asked over 4 years ago - Pensacola, FL

See there is this guy that I like but we're not dating because he is afraid of getting in trouble with the law. So right now we're just talking but if we were dating would it be legal or illegal?

1. Michael Alexander Misa

Answered . I agree with Mr. Brinkmeir on the law as it pertains with sexual activity. Here is the other side of the coin. If you are 17 you should talk to your parents first and see how they feel on the subject and this guy. Then, if this guy is really stand up and wants a "serious" relationship with you, he will know that he is ok with your parents and can date you without any sexual activity until you reach the age of 18 when you can consent, if you want. Make an agreement with your parents and stick to it until your 18. Maybe by then you will know how you feel about him and decide he is right or not. Dont feel alone in this as I have this question asked more frequent than you may think. You are smart to ask this and it shows responsibility. Good luck!!

2. Stephen George Cobb

Pro

Answered . Waiting until you are 18 would be the most prudent thing to do.

3. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . 794.05 Unlawful sexual activity with certain minors. --

(1) A person 24 years of age or older who engages in sexual activity with a person 16 or 17 years of age commits a felony of the second degree...

Florida 2009 law of consent

Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details. Merely dating is legal.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding.