Is it legal for a 15 year old to date a 20 year old? What's the law that involves this and any sites you can direct me to?

Haines City, FL |

This includes legal age differences for dating and legal age differences for sexual relationships.
Please and thank you.

Not legal until the minor is at least 16. Why would a 20 year old want to date a 15 year old? Very bad idea for both sides.

Florida Statutes, Section 800.04
(4) LEWD OR LASCIVIOUS BATTERY. -- A person who:
(a) Engages in sexual activity with a person 12 years of age or older but less than 16 years of age; or
(b) Encourages, forces, or entices any person less than 16 years of age to engage in sadomasochistic abuse, sexual bestiality, prostitution, or any other act involving sexual activity
commits lewd or lascivious battery, a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084

(5) LEWD OR LASCIVIOUS MOLESTATION. --
(a) A person who intentionally touches in a lewd or lascivious manner the breasts, genitals, genital area, or buttocks, or the clothing covering them, of a person less than 16 years of age, or forces or entices a person under 16 years of age to so touch the perpetrator, commits lewd or lascivious molestation.
(b) An offender 18 years of age or older who commits lewd or lascivious molestation against a victim less than 12 years of age commits a life felony, punishable as provided in s. 775.082(3)(a)4.
(c)1. An offender less than 18 years of age who commits lewd or lascivious molestation against a victim less than 12 years of age; or
2. An offender 18 years of age or older who commits lewd or lascivious molestation against a victim 12 years of age or older but less than 16 years of age commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

Though the Florida statutes carefully govern children younger than 16 , the state does allow some leeway for teenagers preparing to enter adulthood. Section 794.05(1), while not expressly allowing such relationships, notes that a person 24 years old or older who engages in contact with a 16- to 17-year-old has committed a second-degree felony. Under this statute, an adult who is not yet 24 years old may date and even have a sexual relationship with a teenager who is at least 16.

Zonald Spinks, Esq. Phone: (813) 413-5352 Fax: (813) 658-5893 Twitter: @ZonaldLaw Skype: Zonaldlaw Disclaimer: legal information is not the same as legal advice -- the application of law to an individual's specific circumstances. Although we go to great lengths to make sure our information is accurate and useful, we recommend you consult a lawyer if you want professional assurance that this information, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation. This information is not intended as legal advice for an individual situation, it is only provided as information.

The first lawyer is correct and why would a 20 year year old date a 15 year old. U r asking for trouble in my humble opinion.

Please be advised that answering your questions does not establish an attorney-client relationship with myself or my firm. We would be more than happy to set up a free consultation if you call us at 407-228-3838 and specifically mention AVVO or email me at bill@thelawman.net and put AVVO in the subject line.

What does a 20 year old have in common with a 15 year old child?

http://www.defendme.net | The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Florida. Responses are based solely on Florida law unless stated otherwise.