Is it leagle for a realitor to sell me a lot that used to be a tire dump. property still has 300 + tires on it & i wasnt told.

Clemson, SC |

Realitor showed me the wrong property until the day before i signed a contract. then "relized" that it was the property next to it instead. she took me out to see it and told me that i was actually getting a better deal. i was told that there was nothing wrong with the property and that it wasnt ever a trash dump. i have entered a contract with them, with the perk test and uncovering of the corner pins being the only contingency. got tired of waiting for the realitor to uncover pins so i went to do it myself. while i was looking for back corner pin, i came across almost 300 + tires i hadnt seen them before because they're in a creek bed, hidden from obvouse sight. i feel the realitor knew about this and tricked me. is it leagle to sell a property w/o disclosing that info? what should i do?

You should consult an attorney immediately. The attorney will need to see the sales contract and deed and any plats. Take photos, too, if you can. It may be that you were too trusting and did not do your due diligence; however, it may be that you were misled and misinformed -- or even "tricked" as you say. You will need an attorney to sort this out and advocate for you. I wish you all the best in getting th is matter sorted out.

The material on the site is made available with the understanding that this author is not engaged in providing professional legal advice. Before relying on material on the site users should obtain appropriate professional legal advice. The material on this site may include opinions, recommendations or other content from third parties that do not necessarily reflect this author's views. Links to other Web sites are included for the user's convenience and do not constitute this author's endorsement of the material on those sites, or any associated product or service. The listing of a person or company in any part of this site in no way implies any form of endorsement by this author of products or services provided by that person or company. The questioner is advised to consult an attorney for legal advice as to that person's particular situation. You may wish to consult your lawyer or another lawyer instead of me (us). You may obtain information about other lawyers by consulting the Yellow Pages or by calling the South Carolina Bar Lawyer Referral Service at 799-7100 in Columbia or toll-free at 1-800-868-2284. If you have already engaged a lawyer in connection with the legal matter referred to in this communication, you should direct any questions you have to that lawyer. The exact nature of your legal situation will depend on many facts not known to me (us) at this time. You should understand that the advice and information in this communication is general and that your own situation may vary.

I agree that you need to consult with an attorney immediately. Taking title to property that was historically used as a trash dump can have many potential environmental liabilities. For example, hazardous substances might have been disposed of at the property. Under federal law, the owner of the property is liable for cleaning up the property.

While I totally agree with both previous posters and recommend you speak to an attorney immediately, it si possible that the realtor was not informed of the tires, and that even teh buyer may not be aware. We've had a serious problem in the Atlanta area with dumpers searching out vacant lots and in the dead of night dumping truck loads of tires and running off so they won't have to pay the high cost of used tire disposal. Not trying to defend the seller/realtor, just adding some additional info.

This is not intended to be legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. If more information is needed, you should consult with an attorney in your state regarding the specifics of your situation and the options available to you.

Landlord-tenant topics