IS IT INTENTIONAL FRAUD,FOR A CLOSE FAMILY MEMBER TO MIS REPRESENT A DOCUMENT FOR MY SIGNATURE AND ENTER MY HOME TO THEIR ESTATE

Micco, FL |

I AM A 54 YR OLD DISABLED VETERAN I BOUGHT MY HOME 12 YEARS AGO WITH THE SETTLEMENT FUNDS FROM MY INJURIES THE LOAN IS PAID IN FULL 3 YRS SHORT OF TERM AND UPON PAYING IT OFF MY MOTHER WHO I THOUGHT WAS THE MOST TRUSTED PERSON IN MY LIFE AT THE TIME. SHE PRESENTED ME WITH A DOCUMENT AND SAID IT WAS RELATED TO MY HOME TAXES AND INSURANCE SAID I DIDN'T NEED TO READ JUST SIGN IT. I DID AND WAS NOTIFIED LATER BY AN ATTORNEY I HAD BEEN TRICKED INTO HER PUTTING MY HOME INTO HER LIFE ESTATE! WAS THIS LEGAL AND IF NOT WHERE DO I BEGIN JUSTIFY ALL OF MY HARD EARNED $ THAT I PAID FOR MY HOME. I NOW HAVE A WIFE WHO I HAVE BEEN WITH FOR TEN YEARS NOW AND MARRIED FOR 2 THIS APRIL. THIS IS NOT RIGHT AND I NEED SOME LEGAL ADVICE TO CLARIFY THAT MY HOME IS NOT TO BE PART OF MY MOTHERS LIFE ESTATE.

1. Your summary is confusing and made more so, perhaps, by the fact that you do not have a copy of what was signed. Whether you can set it aside or not is something that you will need to consult with an attorney about. No one can tell you your rights without being able to see the documents in question. The form may only grant your mother a life estate in the property if you die. There is no way to tell. See an attorney that specializes in estate planning and probate. The sooner you see someone, the sooner you can get some peace of mind and straighten things out.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

2. An attorney would have to review the documents in order for you to get an answer.
    Otherwise-we would just be guessing.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

3. You need to take a copy of what you signed to an estate planning or real estate attorney. If you do not have a copy, you should look in the public records to find the deed to the property. It is impossible to give you advice without seeing the document.

Wills and estates topics