Is it in case of car accident driver NOT have to provide other driver with his insurance and license information? Is it legal?

Sacramento, CA |

Police officer told me today, driver don't have to provide other driver with his insurance and license information and it totally legal !!!!!!!! I was surprised!

Don't have to provide ins info, but must provide name, address, drivers license number

2. No, but if you have his license number and plate number, name and address give it to your insurance company.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none, but many will offer a free consultation and a face to face meeting generally will be better, I like my clients to write a short one page history of the fact and questions they have prior to meeting with them, so nothing is forgotten.

3. Your question is unclear. What are you asking?

4. The answers above are correct. If there was a police report the information you are asking about will be in that report.

If you or any of your passengers were injured you need to consult with an experienced Personal Injury attorney immediately. Many attorneys, including my office, offer free consultations. Good luck.

Jason A. Ewing is a family law, criminal defense, personal injury and civil litigation attorney in Sacramento, CA. Mr. Ewing can be reached at 916-759-7645 or jason@ewinglawoffices.com. Please be advised that although Mr. Ewing is an attorney, the comments posted do not constitute legal advice. You should not rely on any advice or suggestions written and seek outside, independent counsel. An attorney-client relationship has not formed by reading the post.

5. It is my understanding that after an accident, the drivers are to exchange driver's license information, vehicle license and insurance.

6. See California Vehicle Code Section 16025 (a)(2).

Unless rendered incapble, Drivers have to exchange proof of financial responsibity.