Is it illegal to take nude pictures of someone without their permission while they were sleeping or intoxicated?

California |
Filed under: Civil rights

A coworker I was in a relationship with told me that he has pictures of me topless taken without my permission while i was sleeping or intoxicated. He also said that if i wasn't nice to him that he would show it to people and coworkers and post it online.

1. Yes, this is an invasion of privacy.

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Laws vary widely from state to state. You should rely only on the advice given to you during a personal consultation by a local attorney who is thoroughly familiar with state laws and the area of practice in which your concern lies.

2. This is a matter of state law and requires a review of California law (I am a Virginia attorney and cannot advise on California law). Having said that, you may have a blackmail claim if he threatened to post the pictures unless you do something. Consult with a California attorney for possible actions.

[This communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

Civil rights topics