Is it illegal to steal someones Minecraft account?

Little Rock, AR |

I have tried to talk to the person and his/her friends. I am not able to recover my password because I cannot remember my Email password. In truth this is not a big deal. It is just a $26 game account and is not worth a fuss, but I am always interested to learn more.

I would also like a link to where this information is online if possible. One other thing, would this be a federal crime or a state crime if it is a crime.

1. Unauthorized access is a misdemeanor depending upon various factors. If you're the victim and you are paying for the access, report it to the police.

2. While I'm not familiar with Minecraft, and more facts need to be fleshed out, but it sounds like it may fall under computer trespass.

Arkansas Code Annotated Section 5-41-104. Computer trespass.

(a) A person commits computer trespass if the person intentionally and without authorization accesses, alters, deletes, damages, destroys, or disrupts any computer, computer system, computer network, computer program, or data.

(b) Computer trespass is a:

(1) Class C misdemeanor if it is a first violation that does not cause any loss or damage;

(2) Class B misdemeanor if it is a:

(A) Second or subsequent violation that does not cause any loss or damage; or

(B) Violation that causes loss or damage of less than five hundred dollars ($500);

(3) Class A misdemeanor if it is a violation that causes loss or damage of five hundred dollars ($500) or more, but less than two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500); and

(4) Class D felony if it is a violation that causes loss or damage of two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500) or more.

See also:

5-41-106. Civil actions.

(a) (1) Any person whose property or person is injured by reason of a violation of any provision of this subchapter may sue for the injury and recover for any damages sustained and the costs of suit.

(2) Without limiting the generality of the term, "damages" include loss of profits.

(b) At the request of any party to an action brought pursuant to this section, in its discretion, the court may conduct any legal proceeding in such a way as to protect the secrecy and security of the computer, computer system, computer network, computer program, computer software, and data involved in order to prevent possible reoccurrence of the same or a similar act by another person and to protect any trade secret of any party.

(c) No civil action under this section may be brought except within three (3) years from the date the alleged violation of this subchapter is discovered or should have been discovered by the exercise of reasonable diligence.