Is it illegal to remove a gps tracking device put on my car by the finance company?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Plano, TX

My company put a gps tracker on te car. The car has broken down and we have to pay for repairs instead of the note. They are threatening to disable the car but we need it to go to work.

1. Answered . It is not clear to me from your question, but in context I assume the car was used as secured collateral for a loan. The tracking device is probably a requirement of the loan and your agreement with the creditor who loaned you money. If that is the case, then disabling the tracking devise would be a breach of your agreement. In addition, this could be hindering a secured creditor, which is a crime (Tex. Penal Code § 32.33).

Proceed very carefully.