Is it illegal to record a conversation between me and an officer ? i need it to prove as evidence against him he gave me a ticke

Bayonne, NJ |
Filed under: Video recording laws

Is it illegal to record a conversation between me and an officer ? i need it to prove as evidence against him he gave me a ticket of failure to provide registration but i found it 5 minutes later and he insisted to give me the ticket , so can i provide this recording in court or is it illegal from the begining that i recorded without him knowing ? im from new jersey state
Thank you

1. New Jersey's wiretapping law is a "one-party consent" law. New Jersey makes it a crime to intercept or record an in-person or telephone conversation unless one party to the conversation consents. N.J. Stat. §§ 2A:156A-3, -4. Thus, if you operate in New Jersey, you may record a conversation or phone call if you are a party to the conversation or you get permission from one party to the conversation in advance. That said, if you intend to record conversations involving people located in more than one state, you should play it safe and get the consent of all parties.

It may be admissible in court so long as it is introduced properly.

If you found this Answer helpful, please mark it as "Helpful" or "Best Answer". Your feedback is greatly appreciated. PLEASE NOTE: The above statements are provided for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. Transmission of the information is not intended to create, and the receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship between sender and receiver. You should not act or rely on any information contained on this site without first seeking the advice of an attorney.

Video recording laws topics