Is it illegal to put a camera in your child's bedroom?

Asked over 1 year ago - Atlanta, GA

I am going to a divorce and have temporary custody of my daughter. Someone told me that she plans to accuse me of child sexual abuse so she can win full custody. I think that is a very easy accusation against men when it comes to custody of girls. What should I do to help myself.

Thanks in advance.

My daughter is now 3 years old and I live on my own with her.

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

6

10

Answered . While it may not be illegal, it may not be the best strategic move in your case. Keep in mind that if in fact Mother makes those accusations, she will have to prove them. How old is your daughter, can she tell someone what's going on? Has she been to a physician? Is child protective services involved? If not, Mother can't be too concerned. Although Mother's accusations are most likely of a vindictive nature, I suggest you contact a local family law attorney to discuss your options. Best of Luck to you.

2. Allen Rust Knox

2

Best Answer

Answered . It is an invasion of privacy prosecutable and punishable as a felony known as Unlawful Surveillance. Even children have a right to privacy in their bedrooms and in the bathroom. Moreover, if you capture her in a state of undress in her room, this could be prosecutable as manufacturing child porn, for which you would be a registered sex offender. The question would be whether the video shows a lewd exposure of her genitals or breasts.

What you need to do right now is retain an attorney who can handle your divorce and the issues you have concerning this anticipated child abuse allegation. I am a former sex crimes prosecutor. Call me if I can be of assistance.

Allen R. Knox
    125 TownPark Drive, Suite 300
    Kennesaw, GA 30144
    (678) 334-1399

3. Peter Phillip Gross

2

1

Answered . You have a very complicated matter an need to consult with an attorney. As to the camera, I agree with attorney Knox as to the criminal nature of this matter. Your question references planing a divorce and then states you have temporary custody. These two statements generally are contradictory. Therefore, as to a divorce, you need to speak with an attorny. I offer free telephone consultation at 770-563-0005.