Is it illegal to provide copyrighted materials on my website if it is hosted elsewhere?

Philadelphia, PA |
Filed under: Internet law

Say I were to create a website with a video player that simply plays content that is illegal that is hosted on another website. Could I be held legally responsible for that?

1. An owner of copyrights in video source material is entitled to have a court enjoin (bar) a person or entity from distributing, copying, or publicly performing the copyrighted work (among other things) and to assess damages as compensation for such infringement . In this case, although the content may be stored elsewhere, you are still reproducing it by rendering the video and publicly displaiying the work as well.

In short, you would be subjecting yourself to some hefty fines, damages and inconvenience if you go forward with the idea of providing copyrights materials on your websie, even if it is hosted elsewhere.

2. Yes. Displaying a copyrighted work is an act of infringement.

The statements and views expressed in this posting are my own and do not reflect those of my law firm, are intended for general informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or legal opinion. This information is intended for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon without independent consultation and evaluation by an attorney. This information does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please consult an attorney if you have any questions about the subject matter of the information above.

3. Is it illegal? Yes.
    Could I be held legally responsible for that? Yes.

Internet law topics