Is it illegal to provide copyrighted materials on my website if it is hosted elsewhere?

Asked about 1 year ago - Philadelphia, PA

Say I were to create a website with a video player that simply plays content that is illegal that is hosted on another website. Could I be held legally responsible for that?

1. Brian Kenneth Dinicola

7

Answered . An owner of copyrights in video source material is entitled to have a court enjoin (bar) a person or entity from distributing, copying, or publicly performing the copyrighted work (among other things) and to assess damages as compensation for such infringement . In this case, although the content may be stored elsewhere, you are still reproducing it by rendering the video and publicly displaiying the work as well.

In short, you would be subjecting yourself to some hefty fines, damages and inconvenience if you go forward with the idea of providing copyrights materials on your websie, even if it is hosted elsewhere.

2. Christopher R Kinkade

3

Answered . Yes. Displaying a copyrighted work is an act of infringement.

3. Andrew Endicott Schrafel

1

Answered . Is it illegal? Yes.
    Could I be held legally responsible for that? Yes.