Is it illegal to post facts about an individual on the internet?

Asked about 5 years ago - New Jersey

My ex boyfriend is claiming im harrassing him. I posted facts on an internet cheater forum and I posted only facts that can be proven. I have most of the proof on paper. He had multiple profiles on various sex and dating sites while we were living together. He also has porn pics on a site thats made up mostly of teenagers. I posted this information on a site and he found it. He could be fired from his job, if they find this info out as he was doing it all from his job at their computer terminals. If he gets fired even if i dont go directly to them myself, can i be in legal trouble for blowing the whistle on him?? Can i get in trouble for posting FACTS on the internet on this forum?

1. Pamela Koslyn

Answered . Generally truth is an absolute defense to civil defamation claims, and you also have a free speech right to say/write what you want on a public internet site. You say you have "most" of the proof on paper, and where you don't, you're on less firm ground in terms of establishing the truth. Besides defamation, you ex could claim that you're invading his privacy or putting him in a false light (these are among the California claims he could bring), but if he voluntarily posted these things on other public websites, he wouldn't have a reasonable expectation of privacy and this light wouldn't be false, it would be accurate. As for going to his employer, he could bring a claim against you for tortiously interfering with his job contract, and intentionally inflicting emotional distress, so even if you're just telling them the truth, you could expose yourself to a claim (under California law).

2. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . The internet is a public forum place. I assume her you have posted facts. How did you come by those facts? If you did not obtain those facts in an illegal way then I believe you are not able to be charged with a crime. Further, if you can prove the facts you posted, that proof is an absolute defense to a defamation civil lawsuit brought by your ex boyfriend.

I do not practice in NJ so you should check with a lawyer in your locale.

Good luck to you.

God bless. I am in Chicago and do not practice in your state.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in your state in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an atttorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.