Is it illegal to not send children to school.

Asked about 2 years ago - Port Orford, OR

I know someone who pulled their kids out of school I think 2 months before it ended last year. They moved to Arizona and it appears they aren't going to be enrolling them or home schooling them in school for this year. I believe the kids should be going into 5th, 3rd, and Kindergarten.

1. Jay Bodzin

2

Answered . If this person is living in Arizona, then that state's law will control whether the children need to attend school. I'm not licensed to practice in Arizona, only in Oregon, so I can't comment on Arizona law; you might try re-posting in that state's forum. In Oregon, children between ages 7 and 18 are required to attend school up through the 12th grade (see ORS 339.010).

I do have to wonder, though, how you know whether this person will be enrolling their children in school, and why you care. If you're a parent to these children, then you have a right to seek custody and to try to influence their upbringing. If not, then your standing to compel any legal action involving them is likely quite limited.

2. J Christopher Minor

2

Answered . Oregon permits home-schooling under certain conditions. However, if these folks moved to AZ, Oregon likely will have very little interest in dealing with them, and it is now AZ's problem, if there is a problem. It seems unusual for an acquaintance (perhaps you have a closer relationship than you have mentioned) to be concerned about the enforcement of school attendance requirements in Arizona.