Is it illegal to make fake Facebook accounts?

Richmond, CA |

Facebooks new privacy policy won't allow me to opt out of search is it illegal to pay someone to make a few fake profiles with my last name so it's harder for me to be found?

There are a number of new news story on this exact issue. Depending on the state, you may face serious problems civillary. Contact attorney Doland in LA.

Fake profiles are prohibited on FB in their TOS.

As long as the fake I.D. is not using someone elses's identity I do not think it is a crime, and I do not think FB would do more than kick the posts off the site. However, if FB wanted to make an example out of someone, they could sue them and cost them thousands in defense fees alone. (Whether they win or not, getting dragged through the system is expensive and heart wrenching.)

This post is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice specific to you. This general information is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney in your jurisdiction. The attorney client relationship is not established by this post.

Civil rights topics

Recommended articles about Civil rights