Is it illegal to make a fake facebook account pretending to be someone they are not?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Greenville, SC

A friend of mine made a facebook profile to piss of his ex. It was of a old friend of hers who had died of a drug overdose. He made some harsh but true messages and sent them to a few of their mutual friends... no threats. just telling people what a drugged out looser he was. can he get in trouble for doing so.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Pamela Koslyn

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . This is against Facebook's policies, so anyone complaining should be able to to get the account disabled, and possibly the friend's real account as well.

    PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU COMMENT, EMAIL ME OR PHONE ME. I'm only licensed in CA. This answer doesn't make me... more
  2. Tina Marie Muzer Locklear

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . California has recently passed a law which prohibits impersonation of another on the web.

    528.5. Credible impersonation of actual person on Internet Web site or other electronic means; penalties; civil relief; other prosecution
    (a) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, any person who knowingly and without consent credibly impersonates another actual person through or on an Internet Web site or by other electronic means for purposes of harming, intimidating, threatening, or defrauding another person is guilty of a public offense punishable pursuant to subdivision (d).
    (b) For purposes of this section, an impersonation is credible if another person would reasonably believe, or did reasonably believe, that the defendant was or is the person who was impersonated.
    (c) For purposes of this section, “electronic means” shall include opening an e-mail account or an account or profile on a social networking Internet Web site in another person's name.
    (d) A violation of subdivision (a) is punishable by a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by both that fine and imprisonment.
    (e) In addition to any other civil remedy available, a person who suffers damage or loss by reason of a violation of subdivision (a) may bring a civil action against the violator for compensatory damages and injunctive relief or other equitable relief pursuant to paragraphs (1), (2), (4), and (5) of subdivision (e) and subdivision (g) of Section 502.

    CA PENAL § 528.5

    No attorney client relationship is being entered into by the sharing of this statute. It is meant to be... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,935 answers this week

2,811 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,935 answers this week

2,811 attorneys answering