Is it illegal to lie about your criminal history on a job application for a software engineer for FDIC insured brokerage firm?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

Hello all,
I'm a software engineer and recently got a job opportunity to work for an FDIC insured brokerage firm that offers an electronic stock trading platform for customers. Would it be illegal to lie on a job application about my felony conviction under any New York state or Federal law? Considering the fact that nothing on the job application states that "I'm under oath of any kind" and there are no statements stating that "I may be prosecuted if I lie". My conviction is not fraud related. Unfortunately I have tried in the past to be truthful with potential employers after receiving a job offer and ended up hearing bunch of excuses as to why they think I could be a liability for the company. My question is, would I be risking my freedom by lying on a job application?
Thanks in advance

1. Robert V Cornish Jr.

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . I don't think the FDIC has anything to do with your securities registration to work for an on-line brokerage. FINRA and the SEC deal with such things, and your application to work for a broker/dealer is through, among other things, a Form U4. You are required without exception to offer complete and truthful answers to the questions on the form. Your failure to do so will likely result in a lifetime ban from the securities industry. Questions 14(a)(1) and (2) of your Form U4 should be self-explanatory.

That being said, you are going to have to find a firm with whom you can be upfront about your criminal history. If they like you enough, they should shepherd through the registration process and assist in asking for a waiver from FINRA if needed.

2. Arthur H. Forman

Pro

2

1

Answered . No, but it would be grounds for terminating you once they found out. You need to consult an employment lawyer before answering. The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission is taking a hard look at companies that discriminate against people with criminal convictions. The New York State Human Rights Law also makes it illegal to discriminate against applicants with past convictions.

3. Eric Edward Rothstein

1

1

Answered . What is the point of lying? Don't you think they will do a background check?