Is it illegal to keep social security number/card from a 17 year old?

I've been wanting to apply for a job recently and I need my social security number and card. Every time I ask my mother for it she will not give this to me. Is this illegal for her to do?

Davison, MI -

Cristine Wasserman Rathe

Cristine Wasserman Rathe

Employment / Labor Attorney - Flint, MI

I don't know if it is legal or not but you can always just go down to the social security office and request a replacement. If you go online to the Fed Gov website there should be information on where the closest SS office is and what you will need to get your replacement card. I believe you will need a birth certificate and possibly picture idea. The birth certificate is at the Court house in the County where you were born.Good luck

Nancy Katherine Chinonis

Nancy Katherine Chinonis

Employment / Labor Attorney - Flint, MI

I agree with Attorney Rathe. The easiest solution to the problem is to go and request a replacement card from the social security office.

Clint Curtis

Clint Curtis

Social Security Lawyers - Orlando, FL

As previously stated, you have a right to your number through the Social Security agency.