Is it illegal to keep social security number/card from a 17 year old?

Asked 11 months ago - Davison, MI

I've been wanting to apply for a job recently and I need my social security number and card. Every time I ask my mother for it she will not give this to me. Is this illegal for her to do?

1. Cristine Wasserman Rathe

3

Answered . I don't know if it is legal or not but you can always just go down to the social security office and request a replacement. If you go online to the Fed Gov website there should be information on where the closest SS office is and what you will need to get your replacement card. I believe you will need a birth certificate and possibly picture idea. The birth certificate is at the Court house in the County where you were born.Good luck

2. Nancy Katherine Chinonis

1

Answered . I agree with Attorney Rathe. The easiest solution to the problem is to go and request a replacement card from the social security office.

3. Clint Curtis

1

Answered . As previously stated, you have a right to your number through the Social Security agency.