Is it illegal to keep social security number/card from a 17 year old?

Davison, MI |

I've been wanting to apply for a job recently and I need my social security number and card. Every time I ask my mother for it she will not give this to me. Is this illegal for her to do?

1. I don't know if it is legal or not but you can always just go down to the social security office and request a replacement. If you go online to the Fed Gov website there should be information on where the closest SS office is and what you will need to get your replacement card. I believe you will need a birth certificate and possibly picture idea. The birth certificate is at the Court house in the County where you were born.Good luck

Each employment situation has unique facts and circumstances. This means that information and advice cannot be taken literally and should be used as only informational. The information provided here is not legal advice and should not be interpreted as such.

2. I agree with Attorney Rathe. The easiest solution to the problem is to go and request a replacement card from the social security office.

This information and advice cannot be taken literally and should be used as only informational. The information provided here is not legal advice and should not be interpreted as such. This offer of free, general answers is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. If you need specific advice regarding your legal question, you should consult an attorney confidentially.

3. As previously stated, you have a right to your number through the Social Security agency.

Social security topics