Is it illegal to hire an employee, knowing that you will fire them within 95 days and replace them with a former empolyee?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Jose, CA

I started at a job in October. I was hired with a 90 probation period. The employee that I was replacing left supposedly to get a "part time, less stressful job". My job was Accounting, Contracts and Human Resources work. I asked the owner if I needed to have the employee leaving to sign any documents, since she was leaving. He said no that he would take care of it. It was never done. Is this a problem?

1. Michael Robert Kirschbaum

7

Answered . Most employment has no commitment as to the length of time. It is considered to be an "at-will" relationship, which means it can end at any time at the will of either the employer or employee. Very few people are hired with a guarantee of how long the employment will last and those who do have such agreements, generally have the commitment in writing. In your case, you may wish to check any correspondence you received from the employer offering you the job or confirming your employment or any employee handbooks or personnel manuals available to you to see what its policies are about how the employment may end.

If you are suggesting this employer offered you the job knowing, at the time it was offered, they had no intention of keeping you beyond 95 days but failed to tell you about it, you may be able to make a claim for fraud if you can show detrimental reliance. In other words, you quit another job or relocated your residence in order to accept this job with the reasonable expectation it was long term. These are very difficult case to prove but if you find yourself in this situation, you should consult with an experienced employment law attorney for a more informed legal opinion.

2. David Andrew Mallen

6

Answered . I don't see any present or future legal problem.

Also, I would not over-estimate the passing of the 90 day probation period. That gives you no extra legal employment rights unless a written contract says otherwise.

David Mallen

3. Marilynn Mika Spencer

6

Answered . If the employer misled you into quitting another job, relocating, or incurring some other loss in order to accept this job, you may have a claim for promissory estoppel, which is similar to the detrimental reliance issue raised by Mr. Kirschbaum. This doctrine allows a court to enforce a promise in the interest of justice if all of the following elements are present:

-- one party makes a gratuitous promise to another (that is, a promise it was not required to make, such as a job offer); AND
    -- a second party changes its position, circumstances or actions in reliance on that promise (moves, quits another job, etc.); AND
    -- that reliance was reasonable; AND
    -- the second party was harmed due to its changed position, circumstances or actions.

In a promissory estoppel situation, a court could determine the (potential) employer was at fault for causing you to change your life in the expectation of a job.

Terms in an offer letter may make a difference. For example, the letter may contain "waffle words," such as "The employer can withdraw this offer at any time" or "This offer does not guarantee employment," or "This offer is contingent on passing a qualifying exam" or other similar language.

The interactions between the parties are also significant. It is helpful if there are written communications, such as e-mail messages, that show the employer knew you were relying on the promise. For example, if you told the employer that you were resigning your other job, relocating, or making other changes in your life because of your pending employment with the employer, these communications would support a claim for promissory estoppel.

The devil is in the details, so you must present your facts to an attorney who can give you the dedicated attention your situation deserves.

Other than that, I don't see any potential legal issues raised by your facts, unless you had to relocate to take this job. If so, Labor Code 970 generally prohibits an employer from lying to induce an employee to relocate for a job.

California employment law tips in favor of the employer. Employees and job applicants have very few employment rights, and employers have a lot of leeway in how they choose to run their businesses. In general, an employer can be unfair, obnoxious or bad at management. And an employer can make decisions based on faulty or inaccurate information. An employer has no obligation to warn an employee that he or she is not performing as the employer wants. It’s not a level playing field. An employer hires employees to provide work for its benefit, not for the benefit of the employees. Don't expect the employer to take care of its employees; it doesn’t have to and it rarely does.

There are some limitations on what an employer can do, mostly in the areas of public policy (such as discrimination law or whistle blowing), contract law, union-employer labor relations, and constitutional due process for government employees. Please see my guide to at-will employment in California which should help you understand employment rights: http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/an-overvie.... After you take a look at the guide, you may be able to identify actions or behavior that fits one of the categories that allows for legal action. If so, an experienced plaintiffs employment attorney may be helpful.

Employment rights come from the state and federal legislatures. One of the best things people can do to improve their employment rights is vote for candidates with a good record on pro-employee, anti-corporate legislation. Another way to protect employment rights is to form or affiliate with a union, or participate in a union already in place.

I hope you can resolve your situation and wish you the best.