Skip to main content

Is it illegal to have someone over to visit in your home if the person is in the usa illegally?

Frederick, MD |

Is it illegal to have someone visit your home if the person is in the usa illegally?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Your question is not clear. But you cannot officially invite someone without a status to back the affidavit of support. Even if it was possible I will not advise it.

Good Luck
Shah Peerally
Founder and Managing Attorney of Shah Peerally Law Group PC
The Law Firm Deals in Immigration law & Debt Relief

Note: The above answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney client relationship is created unless a retainer is signed by the attorney and the client.


In short, there is no law broken by simply having a guest over to your home (even if they are not in legal status). However, criminal charges may apply under 8 U.S.C. 1324(a)(l)(B)(i), all in violation of 8 U.S. C. 1324(a)(l)(A)(iii) and (a)(l)(A)(v)(II), for "harboring illegal aliens" for the purpose of commercial advantage and private financial gain if you do so knowingly and in reckless disregard of the fact that certain those persons, had come to, entered and remained in the United States in violation of law. It is also important to note that employment of an unauthorized worker is also not permitted.

Please give me a thumbs up if you like my answer.


The short answer to your question is "no". The law does not prohibit you from having "illegal aliens" as friends or spouses or family members.

The law prohibits "harboring and bringing in illegal aliens". You'll see by reviewing the statute, that the law is aimed at prohibiting the aiding and abetting of bringing in aliens illegally, transporting them or hiring them. The full language of the statute is the first link below. As a practical matter this applies to persons making a living. In the last couple of years we have seen an increase in ICE bringing charges against employers hiring aliens not authorized for employment as a practice.

Feel free to take advantage of our Free 30 Minute Consultation to get the reliable advice you require. You can schedule your appointment by clicking on the BOOK NOW button on our website: and choose Option 1. The link below will also take you to the appointment scheduling system. We would be happy to work with you so that you can make an informed decision on how to proceed.

If you like this answer, give it a thumbs up!

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer