Is it illegal to have people on your payroll that are not employees?

Pompano Beach, FL |

Is it illegal to have people on your payroll that are not employees? My boss is doing a lot of shady things, including having his "many girlfriends" on our payroll who do not work for us in any way shape or form. Business is dropping and we have had to take cuts in our pay and now pay towards our insurance. If they were not on our payroll we would not have to be doing this. Is this legal ?

1. Could be illegal. There are tax implications both the State and the IRS might be interested in knowing about.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I am providing educational instruction only--not legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

Small business topics