Is it illegal to have a fake facebook page?

Dayton, OH |

I know someone who created a facebook page under some random, made up name. Says that he is 23 and was just talking to random people.. Began a fake "relationship" with someone who was 19. They have never talked in real life, no plans of ever meeting, nothing perverted.. He says its harmless but I dont know. Is there trouble brewing?

Yes. See Facebook terms of use.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

I am not certain about Ohio, but most states prohibit impersonating another, real or imagined, online.

This answer is not a substitute for professional legal advice. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship, nor is it a solicitation to offer legal advice. If you ignore this warning and convey confidential information in a private message or comment, there is no duty to keep that information confidential or forego representation adverse to your interests. Seek the advice of a licensed attorney in the appropriate jurisdiction before taking any action that may affect your rights. If you believe you have a claim against someone, consult an attorney immediately, otherwise there is a risk that the time allotted to bring your claim may expire.

Internet law topics