Is it illegal to find out someone else's social security number for Child Support Purposes?

Asked over 1 year ago - Florence, MS

I was somehow able to find out my child's father's ssn online. I know it is the correct one. He is now saying that he is pressing charges. I haven't given it to anyone other than Child Support Enforcement and I have not used it any way. I just want to make sure I will not go to jail or get in any kind of serious trouble.

1. William Paul Starks II

Answered . Generally, you must use the social security in manner to adopt someone else's identity or obtain something of value with the information before it is criminal. Without additional information, it is impossible to tell you whether or not you may be subject to a criminal prosecution, but it is unlikely any law enforcement agency will press charges against you for solely attempting to enforce your child support. I

2. Clint Curtis

1

1

Answered . No. Social Security Numbers are used for legitimate purposes constantly. As long as you have not used the information for any iillegal purpose then there is no issue. SSN is not some type of super secret number but rather has laws in place that it can not be compelled. This information is based on Federal Law but I doubt any MS state law exists which prohibits the use of SSN for legal purposes.

Next time he says he is pressing charges, ask him to define the crime. If he says he is going to sue, ask for the particular tort being pursued.

Following is the information from the SS Administration.

The Social Security number was originally devised to keep an accurate record of each individual’s earnings, and to subsequently monitor benefits paid under the Social Security program. However, use of the Social Security number as a general identifier has grown to the point where it is the most commonly used and convenient identifier for all types of record-keeping systems in the United States.

Specific laws require a person to provide his or her Social Security number for certain purposes. While we cannot give you a comprehensive list of all situations where a Social Security number might be required or requested, a Social Security number is required or requested by the following organizations:

Internal Revenue Service for tax returns and federal loans;
    Employers for wage and tax reporting purposes;
    Employers enrolled in E-Verify;
    States for the school lunch program;
    Banks for monetary transactions;
    Veterans Administration as a hospital admission number;
    Department of Labor for workers’ compensation;
    Department of Education for Student Loans;
    States to administer any tax, general public assistance, motor vehicle or drivers license law within its jurisdiction;
    States for child support enforcement;
    States for commercial drivers’ licenses;
    States for Food Stamps;
    States for Medicaid;
    States for Unemployment Compensation;
    States for Temporary Assistance to Needy Families; or
    U.S. Treasury for U.S. Savings Bonds

The Privacy Act regulates the use of Social Security numbers by government agencies. When a federal, state, or local government agency asks an individual to disclose his or her Social Security number, the Privacy Act requires the agency to inform the person of the following: the statutory or other authority for requesting the information; whether disclosure is mandatory or voluntary; what uses will be made of the information; and the consequences, if any, of failure to provide the information.

If a business or other enterprise asks you for your Social Security number, you can refuse to give it. However, that may mean doing without the purchase or service for which your number was requested. For example, utility companies and other services ask for a Social Security number, but do not need it; they can do a credit check or identify the person in their records by alternative means.

Giving your Social Security number is voluntary, even when you are asked for the number directly. If requested, you should ask why your Social Security number is needed, how your number will be used, what law requires you to give your number and what the consequences are if you refuse. The answers to these questions can help you decide if you want to give your Social Security number. The decision is yours.