Skip to main content

Is it illegal to drive a car without a front license plate in California

Riverside, CA |

Are the cops more likely to pull you over for a broken tail light or for not have the front license plates on your car?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Yes, it is illegal and is an infraction.

Vehicle Code section 5200:

5200. (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for
use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which
they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.
(b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle,
it shall be attached to the rear thereof, unless the license plate is
issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate
shall be displayed in accordance with Section 4850.5.

And how to display them is in Vehicle Code section 5201:

5201. License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the
vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from
swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible,
and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible.
The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor
more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license plate
shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground . . .

There are some exceptions for different commercial vehicles, but the bottom line is this: If you were issued two plates (as most passenger vehicles are), you're required to have 2 plates on your car.

It's a favorite reason for the police to use to pull you over. While it's typically a "fix-it" ticket and a small fee or fine, it can lead to much bigger problems if they think you've been drinking or otherwise want a reason to contact you.


Both. In some parts of Riverside County, the police will go through public parking lots and issue scores of citations for cars missing their front license plates.


My colleagues are correct. The problem many people have is that certain cars only have a place for a rear license plate. However, dealers have kits to put on the front plate at no charge when you buy a new car.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.


You bet it is, got nailed for this one myself two months ago, luckily I was just given a fix it ticket, just make sure to get it signed off as corrected and pay the fine on time and it will not be that bad.

If you'd like to speak with an attorney, feel free to contact my office.

Good luck!

Disclaimer: Attorney's response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Attorney's response is not intended as legal advice and is intended for informational purposes only. Inquirer should seek the advice of a duly licensed attorney within that jurisdiction.

State, local, and municipal law topics

Recommended articles about State, local, and municipal law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer