Is it illegal to charge money for employment? If so, is it a federal or state statute?

Asked over 1 year ago - Northridge, CA

I was, as it turns out, charged for working at a non-profit organization in Los Angeles, California.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Brad S Kane


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . More facts are needed to understand your question. It is highly unusual for someone to be charged for working. California and Federal law generally require payment of minimum wage to the employees.

    You can file a FREE wage complaint on line with the Division of Labor Standard Enforcement.

  2. Michael Charles Doland

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your facts are unclear as to what "charge money" means. I am involved with a not for profit, the Boy Scouts, and participation costs me money every year on the troop level, the district level and the council level. Further it is hard to imagine that you did not consent to what you are doing.

    The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may... more
  3. Perry Sai-On Chan

    Contributor Level 6


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Need more facts to answer your question. For example, is your employment linked to an H-1B non-immigrant visa? How are they charging you?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,523 answers this week

2,982 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,523 answers this week

2,982 attorneys answering