Is it illegal to charge money for employment? If so, is it a federal or state statute?

Asked over 1 year ago - Northridge, CA

I was, as it turns out, charged for working at a non-profit organization in Los Angeles, California.

1. Brad S Kane

Pro

3

Answered . More facts are needed to understand your question. It is highly unusual for someone to be charged for working. California and Federal law generally require payment of minimum wage to the employees.

You can file a FREE wage complaint on line with the Division of Labor Standard Enforcement.

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/HowToFileWageClaim.htm

2. Michael Charles Doland

3

Answered . Your facts are unclear as to what "charge money" means. I am involved with a not for profit, the Boy Scouts, and participation costs me money every year on the troop level, the district level and the council level. Further it is hard to imagine that you did not consent to what you are doing.

3. Perry Sai-On Chan

1

Answered . Need more facts to answer your question. For example, is your employment linked to an H-1B non-immigrant visa? How are they charging you?