Skip to main content

Is it illegal to charge me for not registering as a sex offender when im not obligated by law to?

Dunkirk, NY |

i had a rape charge that was dismissed after completing a year of interim probation, during that year i had to register as a sex offender. after completing the year and having the charge dropped, the judge said i no longer had to register. one year later, the city i live in is dragging me into court for not registering. knowing full well that i need not to, but because my name is in the system, i have to go out of my way to clear this up.

Attorney Answers 3


If the case was ultimly dismissed, get a Certificate of Disposition from the Cort Clerk's Office showing the dismissal and have your lawyer show it to the DA. The DA should know anyway.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Mark as helpful


It sounds like a bad mistake. Speak to your prior attorney!

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

Mark as helpful


Failure to register is a crime but if you are not obligated to register then they can't charge you. Contact your attorney that represented you on the rape case. S/he may be able to help clear this up as quickly as possible.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics