Is it illegal to charge me for not registering as a sex offender when im not obligated by law to?

Dunkirk, NY |

i had a rape charge that was dismissed after completing a year of interim probation, during that year i had to register as a sex offender. after completing the year and having the charge dropped, the judge said i no longer had to register. one year later, the city i live in is dragging me into court for not registering. knowing full well that i need not to, but because my name is in the system, i have to go out of my way to clear this up.

1. If the case was ultimly dismissed, get a Certificate of Disposition from the Cort Clerk's Office showing the dismissal and have your lawyer show it to the DA. The DA should know anyway.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

2. It sounds like a bad mistake. Speak to your prior attorney!

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

3. Failure to register is a crime but if you are not obligated to register then they can't charge you. Contact your attorney that represented you on the rape case. S/he may be able to help clear this up as quickly as possible.