Is it illegal to bury a pet in your backyard in the state of Kentucky?

Asked over 2 years ago - Louisville, KY

I live in an apartment, so I do not have a backyard. This is purely for research for my class.

1. Rixon Charles Rafter III

1

Answered . Good luck with the research!

2. Laura Mcfarland-Taylor

Answered . Pursuant to KRS ยง 263.160 (2011), Operations exempt from law, a dead animal must be delivered to a proper facility for disposal. So, although it doesn't say precisely, I think the answer is no, you cannot. On the other hand, it happens so unless you bury the animal too close to a water source, it somehow fouls your neighbors property, or you don't bury it deep enough and it is dug up by other animals, you are probably okay.

If you want a definitive answer, contact the Kentucky Bar Association: www.kybar.org/

If we do not have a signed fee agreement I am not your attorney and this is not legal advice.