Is it illegal to booby trap an entrance to my home? There have been many break-ins in the area recently.

San Diego, CA |

There have been 5 break-ins during the day in my neighborhood, and my fence is easily opened. I do not have the immediate means to buy a lock for my fence, and was wondering if I am legally able to booby trap an entrance to my home on my property. If a potential robber were to hurt himself entering my home, would I be at fault?

You would absolutely be civilly liable and could face a criminal prosecution as well, not a good idea.

I will be happy to speak with you at no cost with a phone or office conference. Please call my office at 619-231-0401 or visit my website at www.paulneuharth.com

Lol. Classic law school question. No, you cannot boobytrap your land. The idea is that it might someday harm police or other people that may try to gain access for legal means. There are also use of force issues.

You could be arrested and/or sued for setting up a booby trap.

Law Office of Andrew Limberg, APLC 380 S. Melrose Dr., #329 Vista, CA 92081 (760) 806-4381

Don't do it!

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555