Is it illegal to be on the campus of a privately funded college if you are not a student?

Oklahoma City, OK |
Filed under: Civil rights

I was walking through a parking of a college campus which I think is privately funded and a police officer stopped, got out of his car and demanded to see my id. At first I didn't think I had to show any id but he told me I was on private property and I was required to show id. There were no signs anywhere near by stating it was private property and that no trespassing was allowed. I was wondering if the police officer had the constitutional authority to ask me for my id with no probable cause.

Private property can be patrolled by security ... Asking for ID is routine and LEGAL

Not sure which college you are referring to but most of the private campuses in OK have signs posted at verious places. If it was Oklahoma City University on 23rd, their police department is actually state certified as a police agancy and as such, have the same abilities as any other police department. Their jurisdiction extends beyond their campus all the way from penn to near classen and 23rd up to NW 30th. The OCU police are very aggressive in contacting people on their campus.

Answers to AVVO questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. This answer is not a substitute for legal advice and should not be relied upon without a full consultation with an attorney that can fully look at issues involved.

Civil rights topics