Is it illegal to attempt to sell food stamps?

Boise, ID |

I know someone who attempted to sell her food stamps to my husband for cash. We have evidence of her attempting to do this documented in texts. Is it illegal to attempt to sell food stamps even if my husband never actually bought them? Is it still considered food stamp or welfare fraud or is it completely legal to attempt to sell food stamps?

Yes, it is illegal. It could subject the person attempting to sell food stamps (SNAP benefits) to both civil and criminal penalties.

I agree with my colleague. It is illegal in every state.

I agree This would be illegal.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.