Is it illegal that I impersonated my friends Landlord to help her make her subleasers pay rent that they are past due?

Berkeley, CA |

My friend lives in a coed college house and is the only one on the lease but has subleasing agreements with the tenants living there. rent is due on the first of each month and on the first, one of the tenants decided that they are moving out because they claimed it is a hostile environment living there. He has two more months on the lease and owes 800 bucks. I impersonated the landlord to get him to pay what he is owed. He signed a subleaser agreement which clearly says he has to give 30 days, find a subleaser and if he breaks the agreement he forfits deposit. Since I did not benefit anything from doing this and since we only did this to recoup rent (we agreed on him paying $200 and getting security deposit back k if there are no damages) can i be sued?

Do not worry, it does not look like you will be sued.

My offices does represent people from Avvo if they contact me but only in the Los Angeles, Orange, Ventura, San Bernardino and Riverside County in Southern California. The answers I give here are not meant to create an attorney client relationship. When accepting clients I conduct interviews face to face and they often take 30 minutes or more. I approach trials and issues from a legal and common sense approach, This is how the majority of judges I have appeared before in 40 years also make decisions. I do not intend by my advice to enter an attorney client relationship and in most cases advise to obtain legal representation. Sometimes if you can not afford it a consultation or limited scope representation is available. As an experienced attorney I can tell you, judges can be impatient, hate emotional arguments and over exagerations or lies. A brief outline of the problems and desired solutions is often best and I d0 limited scope representations advise clients on how to proceed at time of hearing or trial and my fees are considerably less when I do not appear in court as it takes much less of my time.

It's unethical and questionable behavior at best if he sues. It is extremely unlikely that he would.