Is it illegal in New York State to tape record conversation between myself and my doctor, without his knowledge?

Rochester, NY |
Filed under: Civil rights

I live in New York State.

In my state, is is illegal to tape record an IN-PERSON conversation between myself and my doctor, without his/her knowledge?

And, can that recording be used later in a court proceeding/lawsuit?

Also, is it illegal in NYS to tape record a phone conversation without the other person's knowledge?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

In the state of NY all that is necessary is the consent of one of the parties to a conversation, so as a result so long as youre consenting to the recording then it is legally permissible.

It is lawful to record a telephone conversation if one is a party to the conversation or has received the consent of a party to the communication. See, People v. Lasher, 447 N.E.2d. 70, 71 (N.Y. 1983).

Check with the N.Y. Penal Law §250.00(1)

You might find my Legal Guide helpful " What Do I Tell My Lawyer?"

Online we cannot know what the other details are going on in your case because online we cannot find out those details. You need a lawyer. Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

Civil rights topics

Recommended articles about Civil rights