Is it illegal if a front-line direct care worker in a psychiatric hospital denies patients' requests for food and/or snacks?

Philadelphia, PA |

In between meals and on the overnight hours is it illegal to deny patients' requests for hydration & nutrition in locked psychiatric units where patients are generally involuntarily committed against their will?

1. Not necessarily.

The obligations to confined patients will depend on the facts and circumstances.

Psychiatric confinement or lock-down is not akin to hotel room service on demand, but there are constitutional implications if patients are denied necessary food and drink. In most circumstances, licensed facilities have standard protocols for distribution of food and drink that meet constitutionally measures.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

2. A request is one thing. A medical need is another.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.