Is it illegal for someone to file my tax return without my consent?

Asked about 5 years ago - Sacramento, CA

i went in to a tax service to see if i can qualify for a loan before tax season, i got denied. a representive there told me that i could still file somewhere else when it was tax time. so i did. i went to another tax service and fikled with them, while waiting for my return, they called me and told me that the irs said that i had already filed. now when i went to the first tax service, i did not consent for them to file my taxes, they dont even have my w2. what can i do? can i sue them?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Henry Daniel Lively

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You should first contact the first tax service and see if they can explain what happened and correct it. You should also contact the IRS and let them know what happened. If you cannot resolve this quickly this way, seek legal counsel immediately to help you sort this out and get it corrected.

    Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response provides information that is general in nature and not specific to any person's unique situation. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Advice given in this response cannot be used to eliminate penalties with the IRS or any other governmental agency.

  2. Jonathan H Levy

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I agree, call the IRS and ask questions. And what happened to your tax refund?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,928 answers this week

3,578 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,928 answers this week

3,578 attorneys answering