Skip to main content

Is it illegal for packaged foods to have high calories

Decatur, GA |

I am aware that 2% of America is trying to gain weight. I would like to provide package food meals with high, but HEALTHY calories. Is it illegal?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Your question is overly broad but I added the right categories for you to get additional answers and ideas as well as I have provided a link to the Food and Drug Administration which is the Agency that would have to be dealt with in terms of any ideas you may have.

My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a licensed attorney in your State should be obtained.


No. Most packaged foods have high calories.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


If high calories were a crime, many fast food and prepackage food manufacturers would be convicted. After all, a small ice cream package serves 4?

Seriously, its not the calories, its the proper disclosures on packaging, legal ingredients and proper handling that are some of your major concerns

Disclosure: This answer and any information contained in this answer is not intended to be treated as legal advice. It is for informational purposes to educate about legal issues. You should contact an attorney for specific legal advice for your situation. Specific legal advice based on full knowledge of your specific situation and all facts may differ from general information. This posting does not create an attorney-client relationship or privilege of any kind. This attorney actively licensed only in the State of Georgia. If this is a Georgia matter, you may of course contact me to discuss possible representation. FEEDBACK: Both AVVO and other readers are interested in your feedback on the quality of the answers. Please check the “thumbs up” symbol if you find an answer helpful.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer