Is it illegal for my lawyer to discuss my pending criminal case with my mother instead of me when IM 28 yrs old?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Flowery Branch, GA

Won't contact me or will not return calls or emails. But has no problem texting my mother about my pending drug charge when IM 28 yrs old and more than capable to comprehend what's going on

1. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

Answered . Unless you have given permission, it is a serious ethical violation for a lawyer to discuss your case with your mother. The lawyer can be disciplined by the state bar for such conduct. Additionally, good lawyers answer emails and calls in a timely fashion.

Contact tyour lawyer in writing and advise him that any future contact with your mother will result in you making a state bar complaint. Also advise him that failure to return calls and emails will also result in a complaint. If he continues, fire him, get new counsel, and make teh bar complaint (which must be in writing).

2. Keith G Langer

Pro

1

Answered . It is highly improper for an attorney to discuss details of a case, particularly issues in a pending case, with anyone other than the client or an authorized representative of the client.

Send your attorney a written complaint by Certified Mail/ReturnReceipt, informing him that any further breaches of attorney/client confidentiality will result in his termination from the case and a complaint to the bar.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.