Is it illegal for my husband's divorce attorney to cc me on emails to my attorney?

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

It happened only once, but my husband's divorce attorney copied me on email to my attorney. This seems odd and questionable. I could understand if on an email chain someone accidentally "replies all" but this was not the case - she would have had to enter my email address in the cc line. Seems like a gray area and more in line with poor digital communication style, but am curious as to how this would apply to the "no contact" rule.

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

Answered . Contacting a represented party is not allowed under the ethics rules.

2. Kevin H. Pate

3

Answered . Counsel should not communicate directly with a represented party. That said, if it were a one time incident, and as your counsel should clearly be aware of it, since you were a cc to an email to your counsel, I suggest your counsel can deal with it on your behalf, and probably already has.

3. Peter Christopher Lomtevas

Pro

Answered . Being cc'd happens all the time. That's what your attorney should have told you.