Is it illegal for an employer to ask date of birth, race & gender on an "online job application" PRIOR to hiring applicant ?

Dallas, TX |

Employer is not-for-profit organization that deals with residential communities services and I believe receives subsidies in Federal funding for housing (the HUD logo displayed on their website). Are they in * violation of the law * with their blatant request for information of a potential employee ?

Additionally, the online application request High School / College graduation dates, SS number, Driver's License, etc....all "prior" to a job interview and/or job "offer". I have contact HUD -- their local Dallas office indicates in their view "no violation" has taken place.

Please advise -- Thanks !

It is common for employers to ask for that information on job applications as part of their EEO information gathering.