Is it illegal for a teacher to physically pry a "personal" note from the hand of my daughter....?????

Westland, MI |

She wrote down her thoughts and feelings about someone whom she does not like, to avoid saying something out-loud that she would get into trouble for, and her teacher pried it focrefully from her hand

1. Yes, the teacher can do that, and it is not illegal. Tell your daughter she can write in her journal when she gets home. The teacher was perfectly within her rights, and neither the teacher or the school did anything in derogation of the law.

We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I have made are based upon the very limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in California.

2. Teachers in most states are permitted to use that amount of force necessary to maintain discipline and order in the classroom. A student has no expectation of privacy in the classroom regarding documents or writings. If your daughter was writing in a private journal she may have a semblance of an argument for privacy, but even that would likely not avoid the teacher's right/responsibility to maintain order in the class.
    Best of luck!

NO LEGAL ADVICE GIVEN. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does NOT provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your case. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal administrative law; professional licenses and permits; education law; employment and labor law; and litigation matters in state and federal courts. Our practice is limited to the States of Oregon and California. If you have a case in any other state we would not be able to assist you. Unless we have a signed written fee agreement you are not my or my firm's client.