Skip to main content

Is it illegal for a parent to refuse to turn over a child's passport when that child turns 18?

West Lawn, PA |

My son's Father has been in possession of his passport for the past 2 years. Our son has since turned 18 and would like his passport, but his Father is refusing to return it to him. Is this action on his Father's part illegal, and if so, what legal action can be taken to force his Father to return it to him?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Not an immigration law quesiton.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

  2. The passport is the son's property at this time. The USCIS or the Department of State is not the relevant law enforcement agency to contact, however. Your son (you probably do not have standing when your son turns 18) should contact the police (if you want to escalate to that level) but of course try to handle it informally beforehand.